Amicus  

Go Back   Amicus > General Forums > The Patio

Old 07-20-2011   #1
Sputt
Increasingly grumpy

Send a message via ICQ to Sputt Send a message via MSN to Sputt
Default Story driven co-op games?

Not having the time to play MMOs, I'm looking for story driven co-op PC games-

It can't be too FPS or twitchy, so games like Borderlands and Rune, while great story driven co-op games, are out of the question. The ideal game would be an ARPG; something along the lines of Guild Wars, but without the MMO part.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
Old 07-20-2011   #2
Kalagrim
Professional Undead
WoW Characters

Co-Op? Well.. that throws a wrench into most of my ideas. I can recommend several single player games, but co-op is a lost art form apparently.

Maybe Dungeon Siege 3? I have heard seriously mixed things about its co-op.. but it does have it.. As for the story.. Who knows. Dungeon Siege 1 and 2 might be worth checking out though.

P.S. The obvious answer is WoW without PUGs! That turns it into a nice 5-10 player co-op game. :P (Can't blame me for trying now can you?)
Tiranar - 100 BloodElf Death Knight
Zugnar - 100 Orc Hunter
Kaelinar - 100 BloodElf Paladin
Moragrim - 100 Undead Warlock
Cyra - 100 Tauren Druid
Zulizzak - 100 Troll Shaman
Morgral - 100 Undead Warrior
Barnaj - 100 Undead Rogue

Last edited by Kalagrim; 07-20-2011 at 10:25 AM.
Kalagrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011   #3
Zemnus
Nonsensical Silliness
WoW Characters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sputt View Post
Not having the time to play MMOs, I'm looking for story driven co-op PC games-

It can't be too FPS or twitchy, so games like Borderlands and Rune, while great story driven co-op games, are out of the question. The ideal game would be an ARPG; something along the lines of Guild Wars, but without the MMO part.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

yeah...good luck!

In all seriousness though...these days if you want story driven and co-op in the same game, it's almost always a FPS. So when you go into that market (if you ever do) then i can help you
Zemnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011   #4
Malvicus
I don't like SPAM!
WoW Characters

I heard Portal 2 with some buddies is fun.... but its more puzzle driven than story-driven.
Mebbe a neverwinter nights mod?
Old 07-20-2011   #5
Sputt
Increasingly grumpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalagrim View Post
Maybe Dungeon Siege 3? I have heard seriously mixed things about its co-op.. but it does have it.. As for the story.. Who knows. Dungeon Siege 1 and 2 might be worth checking out though.
How does Dungeon Siege play? I never actually played it, but I remember wanting to back when I was playing AO; must have been the first one. The first one would be too old, I think, so I'm a bit curious about the second and third.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malvicus View Post
I heard Portal 2 with some buddies is fun.... but its more puzzle driven than story-driven.
Mebbe a neverwinter nights mod?
Neverwinter Nights 2 is something I was looking at, but you have to have a BioWare Community user which *ahem* requires a CD-key. >.> Doesn't it play a lot like Baldur's Gate (never played NWN2 either)? The whole pausing all the time seems like it would get annoying really fast in a co-op campaign?

Portal 2 isn't a bad idea.. not as much of a story, but fantastic gameplay, which might just make up for it

One of the important things I'm looking for is a definitive beginning and end, which a MMO doesn't have (except GW, I suppose). It can be a FPS if it has a good story and gameplay, but if it's too twitchy with headshots and whatnot, it's no good.

Thanks for the suggestions!
Old 07-20-2011   #6
Malvicus
I don't like SPAM!
WoW Characters

Oh.. there was a game on steam a year ago that looked interesting. let me see if i can dig it up.
Old 07-20-2011   #7
Malvicus
I don't like SPAM!
WoW Characters

I havent found the game I was thinking of.. it looks and plays like Lara Croft like an action puzzler but one player is a big stone dude and the other is a human boy or something. It had a jungle theme, too.

Anyway, while browsing Steam, I came across D&D: Daggerdale that can be played solo or co-op with a definitive beginning middle and end. Not to sure on reviews tho. If you check it out, lemme know how it plays.
Old 07-20-2011   #8
Sputt
Increasingly grumpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malvicus View Post
I havent found the game I was thinking of.. it looks and plays like Lara Croft like an action puzzler but one player is a big stone dude and the other is a human boy or something. It had a jungle theme, too.

Anyway, while browsing Steam, I came across D&D: Daggerdale that can be played solo or co-op with a definitive beginning middle and end. Not to sure on reviews tho. If you check it out, lemme know how it plays.
D&D Daggerdale. Not only does it have a beginning and an end, it has a middle!? Awesome (despite The Matrix's middle killing it)! Going to check it out. Thanks!

I read about a game that was a lot like The Lost Vikings in a sci-fi setting. Puzzle-like and all that. From 2003 or something along those lines. Half-tempted to try it out for myself (The Lost Vikings ). I'll see if I can find it again.
Old 07-20-2011   #9
Kalagrim
Professional Undead
WoW Characters

I really enjoyed NWN1, though the main story campaign is more single player than coop. It *technically* supports co-op, but its a bit clunky, and the Hordes of the Underdark xpack doesn't support it at all. (though there are some hacks to play it co-op you can use) - As some of you probably know my original WoW character Moragrim is a combination of the names Morag and Mogrim from NWN.

NWN2 is definitely better in the co-op department. Though I think NWN1 was quite a bit better game IMO. You can get NWN1 on GOG.com (with all expansion and mini DLC) for $10, which eliminates that whole nasty need a serial number problem. :P

Dungeon Siege plays very much like Diablo. I really enjoyed the first one, but never was able to get into the 2nd one, and haven't really tried the third one. I think a few people downloaded the demo over steam, so maybe one of them can speak up about how that one plays.
Tiranar - 100 BloodElf Death Knight
Zugnar - 100 Orc Hunter
Kaelinar - 100 BloodElf Paladin
Moragrim - 100 Undead Warlock
Cyra - 100 Tauren Druid
Zulizzak - 100 Troll Shaman
Morgral - 100 Undead Warrior
Barnaj - 100 Undead Rogue

Last edited by Kalagrim; 07-20-2011 at 03:35 PM.
Kalagrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011   #10
okolorion
Monday
WoW Characters

There's some mods that let you play KOTOR with friends. Not sure if it's what you're looking for, but /shrug
okolorion is offline   Reply With Quote